Q. conceptual-changes-in-phonetic-developments phonetics.
- Q. conceptual-changes-in-phonetic-developments phonetics.
The following conceptual changes were made in the phonetic development of Quenya between the Middle Quenya of the Etymologies and the Late Quenya of The Lord of the Rings.
- Dentalization of initial velars came before opening of voiced stops to spirants so that ✶gy- > dy- > ly- instead of ✶gy- > ʒy- > y- (PE19/75).
- Fortification of initial voiceless stops was by aspiration instead of nasal-prefixion, so that there were no initial voiceless-stops-plus-nasals
- Development of ✶ps uncertain (PE19/84).
- ✶rph became rp instead of rf uncertain (PE19/89).
- ✶ñm became ¯m instead of ñgw uncertain (PE19/97,98).