S. Osgiliath loc. “Citadel of the Stars”
The old capital of Gondor, translated “Citadel of the Stars” (LotR/244) or “Fortress of the Stars” (RGEO/65, Let/426). This name is a combination of ost “fortress, city” and the class-plural of gil “star” (RC/232; SA/os(t), gil).
Conceptual Development: When this name first appeared in Lord of the Rings drafts from the 1940s, it was already N. Osgiliath “Fortress of the Stars” (TI/119).
References ✧ Let/426; LotR/244, 1113; LotRI/Citadel of the Stars, Osgiliath; PE17/23, 30; PMI; RC/232; RGEO/65; SA/gil, os(t); SI; UTI
|ost||“fort(ress), stronghold, enclosure; city, town (with wall round)”||✧ RC/232; SA/os(t)|
|gil||“star; (bright) spark, silver glint”||class-plural||✧ PE17/23; PE17/30 (giliath); RC/232 (giliath); RGEO/65; SA/gil (giliath)|
N. Osgiliath loc. “Fortress of the Stars”
References ✧ SDI1/Osgiliath; TI/119, 144, 423-424; TII; WRI
|ost||“city, town (with wall round)”|